Tax Updates

Departure tax for individuals emigrating from Canada

February 12, 2020

Authored by RSM Canada LLP

Cleo L. Melanson, CPA, CA, CMA shared this article


When an individual taxpayer emigrates from and permanently severs ties with Canada, such that the individual will be considered a non-resident for income tax purposes, they will be required to calculate a departure tax on their final personal income tax return. This final return is often referred to as the ‘departure return’.

The departure tax is a crucial aspect of final income tax returns that can impact the overall taxable income of the individual taxpayer. This impact can significantly increase the amount of taxes that need to be paid. By understanding the departure tax requirements, taxpayers will be able to minimize any outstanding tax owing before emigrating from Canada.

Departure tax primer

Under paragraphs 128.1(4)(b) and (c) of the Income Tax Act (ITA), an individual who becomes a non-resident of Canada is deemed to have disposed, and to have subsequently immediately reacquired, all of her property at fair market value (FMV), except for the following:

  1. real property situated in Canada, Canadian resource and timber property
  2. capital property and inventory used in carrying on a business through a permanent establishment in Canada
  3. an ‘excluded right or interest’. This expression includes financial assets in respect of which Canada will be able to collect withholding tax when the funds are withdrawn by the non-resident. Examples are deferred income plans such as RRSPs, RRIFs, rights under a stock option plan or retirement allowance, etc.
  4. property owned when the individual last became a resident of Canada if she has not been resident for more than 60 months during the 120 month period ending when she ceases being a resident of Canada, and property inherited during that time. This exception only applies to individuals who immigrated to Canada and then subsequently leave within the time frame outlined
  5. taxable Canadian property if retrospectively elected by the individual who emigrated but subsequently immigrates back to Canada

Any taxable capital gain (i.e. 50 per cent of the deemed capital gain) resulting from the deemed disposition of property, other than property specifically exempted, is included as taxable income in the departure return. An individual taxpayer can elect to have a deemed disposition of properties mentioned in 1) and 2) above. A taxpayer would normally only elect if the deemed disposition results in a loss. This loss can then be used to offset any gains from the deemed dispositions of other properties.

The exception described in 5) only applies to individuals who had a deemed disposition of property when they emigrated from Canada and then return to Canada as residents while still holding that property. It allows the taxpayer to recover the tax paid on the deemed disposition of that property on emigration or to obtain the release of the security posted.

Reportable properties

If the total FMV of all properties owned at the time of departure is greater than $25,000, form T1161, List of Properties by an Emigrant of Canada, will also need to be filed with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This form will require the taxpayer to list certain details on all their ‘reportable properties’. A reportable property is defined as any property other than:

  • Canadian currency
  • with a few exceptions, an excluded right or interest
  • property described in 4) above that is not taxable Canadian property
  • any item of personal use with a FMV of less than $10,000. Personal-use property is defined as any property used for the personal use and enjoyment of the taxpayer

Tax obligations of emigrating individual taxpayers

Taxpayers contemplating departure from Canada must evaluate if their departure qualifies for departure tax and, if so, determine the tax consequences of emigrating. Generally, taxes owing as a result of the departure tax rules are payable on April 30th of the year following the year of departure. An individual can elect to defer payment of the departure tax until the asset is sold by filing an election, form T1244, no later than April 30th of the year after emigration. If the amount of tax owing is more than $16,500, security may need to be provided to the CRA. Typically, CRA will require a bank guarantee, letter of credit or a mortgage on real property.

Increase in taxable income as a result of departure tax

The departure tax may have a significant impact on individuals since the taxable capital gain from deemed dispositions can significantly increase the taxable income of the individual. Without careful tax planning, taxpayers may be caught off guard with a tax obligation that they do not have the resources to pay.

Let's Talk!

Call us at 1 855 363 3526 or fill out the form below and we'll contact you to discuss your specific situation.

  • Topic Name:
  • Should be Empty:

This article was written by Enzo Testa, Nirusaa Nirmal and originally appeared on 2020-02-12 RSM Canada, and is available online at

The information contained herein is general in nature and based on authorities that are subject to change. RSM Canada guarantees neither the accuracy nor completeness of any information and is not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for results obtained by others as a result of reliance upon such information. RSM Canada assumes no obligation to inform the reader of any changes in tax laws or other factors that could affect information contained herein. This publication does not, and is not intended to, provide legal, tax or accounting advice, and readers should consult their tax advisors concerning the application of tax laws to their particular situations. This analysis is not tax advice and is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer.

RSM Canada Alliance provides its members with access to resources of RSM Canada Operations ULC, RSM Canada LLP and certain of their affiliates (“RSM Canada”). RSM Canada Alliance member firms are separate and independent businesses and legal entities that are responsible for their own acts and omissions, and each are separate and independent from RSM Canada. RSM Canada LLP is the Canadian member firm of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms. Members of RSM Canada Alliance have access to RSM International resources through RSM Canada but are not member firms of RSM International. Visit for more information regarding RSM Canada and RSM International. The RSM trademark is used under license by RSM Canada. RSM Canada Alliance products and services are proprietary to RSM Canada.

FCR a proud member of RSM Canada Alliance, a premier affiliation of independent accounting and consulting firms across North America. RSM Canada Alliance provides our firm with access to resources of RSM, the leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market. RSM Canada LLP is a licensed CPA firm and the Canadian member of RSM International, a global network of independent audit, tax and consulting firms with more than 43,000 people in over 120 countries.

Our membership in RSM Canada Alliance has elevated our capabilities in the marketplace, helping to differentiate our firm from the competition while allowing us to maintain our independence and entrepreneurial culture. We have access to a valuable peer network of like-sized firms as well as a broad range of tools, expertise, and technical resources.

For more information on how FCR can assist you, please call us at 1 855 363 3526

Important Notice:

FCR will now redirect you to CCH Portal where your FCR Client Portal login is located.

Share This